- Senior Counsel, Brown White & Osborn LLP (2023-Present)
- Counsel, States United Democracy Center (2022-2023)
- Deputy District Attorney IV, Santa Barbara County District Attorney’s Office (2020-2022)
- Assistant United States Attorney, Middle District of Florida (2015-2020)
- Associate, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan (2013-2014)
- Law Clerk, Hon. Dean D. Pregerson and Hon. George H. Wu, Central District of California (2012-2013)
- Stanford Law School (J.D., 2012), Assistant Editor, Stanford Law and Policy Review
- Stetson University (B.A., 2007), summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Harry S. Truman Scholar (2006)
- White Collar Criminal Defense & Investigations
- State Criminal Defense
- Campaign Election & Political
- Cyber Law
- Business Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- SEC Investigations
Mr. Nolan is an experienced litigator and trial lawyer. He has tried 11 cases, prepared several more that pled on the eve of trial, litigated dozens of evidentiary hearings, argued hundreds of other court hearings, and drafted appellate briefs to a federal circuit court of appeals. During his time as a prosecutor, he charged hundreds of cases and was responsible for overseeing all aspects of the grand jury investigation and litigation. Below is a sampling of his experience.
White Collar Experience as a Prosecutor
- Convicted individuals accused of obtaining hundreds of thousands of dollars from tax fraud.
- Prosecuted individuals who obtained several hundred thousand dollars from government programs through wire and mail fraud
- Investigated individuals accused of committing customs fraud to smuggle numerous, stolen ancient-Incan artifacts into the country.
- Prosecuted individual who was accused of obtaining government contracts worth millions of dollars through fraud.
- Convicted a doctor and medical staff of illegally prescribing controlled substances.
- Prosecuted individuals accused of producing false government documents.
- Convicted individuals of lying to the federal government in the course of committing fraud.
- Assisted in appeal involving several high-ranking executives at a prominent healthcare company, who were convicted in a fraud scheme worth tens of millions of dollars.
- Prosecuted several federal employees who abused their position to steal from the government.
- Obtained forfeiture awards and restitution orders worth millions of dollars.
- Assisted foreign government’s investigation into individual who smuggled goods from the United States into the European Union to avoid paying several hundred thousand dollars in taxes.
- Convicted attorney who used law license to facilitate criminal conspiracy run by inmates in a federal prison.
- Participated in U.S. Attorney’s Office’s review group for financial Suspicious Activity Reports and made referrals for investigation.
Other Criminal Experience as a Prosecutor
- Extradited Colombian drug kingpins to the United States to face international narcotics trafficking charges.
- Convicted numerous defendants of violent crimes including murders, attempted murder, drive by shootings, extortions, robberies, threats, and assaults.
- Prosecuted array of cyber crimes involving child pornography and threats.
- Obtained wiretaps to successfully prosecute large drug conspiracy.
- Advised statewide and local elected officials on issues related to elections and public safety.
- Represented hedge fund in lawsuit against one of the country’s largest banks for selling defective mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented prominent technology company in a high-profile partnership dispute.
- Represented one of country’s largest utility companies regarding billions of dollars in alleged damages stemming from a wildfire that burned hundreds of thousands of acres.
- Represented one of country’s largest insurance and financial companies in claims related to alleged misrepresentations and omissions of a subsidiary.
- Represented litigation trust in case against Big Four accounting firm in connection with collapse of a midstream oil company.
- Represented a bipartisan group of former United States Attorneys, state Attorneys General, high-ranking DOJ officials, Governors, and a former Secretary for the Department of Homeland Security in an amicus brief urging overturning a mother’s conviction for voter fraud, when no proof of an intent to defraud was offered at trial.
- Interviewed for expert opinion on NPR’s All Things Considered regarding potential legal exposure of violent political extremist group.
- Prepared legal guidance documents regarding voting issues that the Department of Homeland Security has nationally promoted.
- Successfully advocated for President of the United States to grant criminal defendant’s request to have sentence commuted.